Regular Meeting, Thursday, June 22, 2023, at 6:30 PM

Remote Participation ONLY

Zoom Location:

Meeting ID: 781 449 0827     Passcode: 123

You can dial in using your phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

Or one-tap mobile: +13052241968,,7814490827#,,,,*123# US

Dial *6 to mute/unmute on telephone



Attendees: Stephan Chait (Chair; SC), Lesley Pollitt (Treasurer; LP), Dov Towler (Member; DT), Mary Horne (Member; MH), Laurel Copeland (Clerk; LC), Linda Huebner (guest, LH), Sue Kelly (guest, SK).


CALL TO ORDER at 6:32 pm





Regular Meeting Minutes of March 23, 2023 were approved.



Management of Invasive Plants

Hogback Mountain Conservation Association and Management of Invasive Plants. HMCA is tackling 11 invasive species on the mountain. All 6 of our targeted species are included.


A Way to Garden –



Update on Ash Tree Removal and Use of State and Town Funds (SK) – $10,000 were spent removing ash trees along Collins Road. DT spotted our first positively identified EAB-infested ash tree opposite Perry Road on Green River Road. It is likely EAB is affecting many trees in Halifax, notably along Brook Road.


Flyers on Invasive Plants in Halifax

Feedback on posting and circulation of the flyers – none from paper flyers, none from Principal Sandy Pentak-Cohen.


Next Steps (previously, possible mailing of 3 2-sided flyers in one envelope with a cover letter (c. $500), DT supportive. The committee discussed pros and cons of a 400-address mailing, following the model of our beaver education flyer. SC will look into the cost of a 3-page, 2-sided printing of our 6 invasives with C&S Printing.


Discussion of Trapping and Conservation Commission Outreach 

Conservation Commission Letter to State Representative Roberts – SC will ask TR why he did not respond to our previous letter. LP commented that TR seemed to appreciate talking with people and would appreciate a phone call. SC will call him.


BEEC Project entitled Beavers in Halifax and Westminster VT

BEEC was funded to present a variety of educational events regarding beavers in our environment. The project works through the Beaver Working Group consisting of Linda Huebner, Patti Smith, Stephan Chait, and Laurel Copeland and possibly Mike Ferzoco next door to the HHS Museum on Branch Road. Other key players are Denise Burchsted (river engineer), Skip Lisle (Beaver Deceivers ©), and Mike Fournier (our Road Boss). LC will send Beaver Work Group materials (summary, agenda for 6/20 meeting, meeting notes LC took at 6/20 meeting). All CC members are asked to visit beaver ponds and report back to SC and LAC about how accessible they are for a group of people (with cars to park nearby).

ACTION ITEM: tell us about beaver ponds near you.




HEARING OF VISITORS – MH asked for clarification about “A Way to Garden” – it is a document available at the URL above.


ADJOURNMENT at 7:27 pm.