ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SELECTBOARD
TOWN OF HALIFAX, VERMONT
The Halifax Selectboard Administrative Assistant acts as a secretary and provides basic administrative support to the Selectboard. The position interacts with all Selectboard members, as well as members of the public, while reporting directly to the Selectboard chair and vice-chair.
This is part-time, salaried position, with an expectation of 15 to 20 hours per typical week of work. In-person attendance at most Selectboard meetings is required. Routine meetings are currently scheduled for Tuesday evenings, twice per month. Most other routine work can be done remotely (with Internet connection) on a flexible schedule as long as deadlines are met.
Routine Functions and Duties
- Attend Selectboard meetings, the annual Town Meeting, and additional special meetings as scheduled or needed.
- Run remote meeting technology for Selectboard meetings, and provide support to other town committees using remote technology.
- Draft, distribute, post, and finalize meeting agendas and minutes.
- Maintain Selectboard section of town website, as well as updating other sections as requested by the Selectboard.
- Organize and prepare documents and correspondence for meetings.
- In coordination with the Treasurer, track and process town expenditures under the Selectboard’s purview, including the Selectboard and Highway budgets. Assist with related financial reporting.
- Assist in research and preparation of the annual budget and town report.
- As needed, support the Selectboard in compliance with applicable laws and issues of town governance.
- Act as liaison between Selectboard and other parties such as town counsel, VLCT, and members of the public. This may include drafting and mailing letters, composing emails, or otherwise helping the board carry out business.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associate or other higher education experience or degree preferred.
- Two to five years of administrative experience, and/or related office experience.
- Computer skills including word processing documents, spreadsheets, PDFs, email, and presentations.
- Experience in website administration, preferably WordPress.
- Ability to interact with town employees, elected and appointed officials and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to take direction and constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Open Meeting law and town governance is required. Training can be provided.
- A successful candidate for this position will be able to monitor various deadlines, provide a variety of administrative tasks efficiently and with high attention to detail, and be an active part of a team that requires a high degree of transparency and accountability to the public.
Adopted by the Selectboard, Dec. 2021.