OFFICE OF THE SELECTBOARD
TOWN OF HALIFAX, VERMONT
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES – Draft
January 4, 2022
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00pm. Selectboard members present in person or remote were Lewis Sumner, Pete Silverberg, Tristan Roberts and Cara Cheyette. Others in attendance in person or remote were Stephan Chait, Edee Edwards, Mike Fournier, David Jones, Linda Lyon, Doug & Marilou Parkhurst, Chris Parkins and Kaitlin Stone.
CHANGES OR ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA
MOMENT OF SILENCE
The board observed a moment of silence to honor the passing of colleague and neighbor, Earl Holtz.
APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES
Approved December 21, 2021 meeting as written, 3-0 with Cheyette abstaining.
- Highway department:
Truck bids: Fournier sent RFP to two vendors for body and three vendors for truck. Deadline is February 1, 2022. Fournier will instruct one vendor to resubmit bid in proper form, through proper channels.
Bad weather communication. Discussion about winter road policy and board being responsive to residents’ while running interference between residents and crew so they can continue to do their jobs safely and well.
- Social media: VLCT policy doesn’t apply to towns that don’t have official social media platforms. Board members are free to speak as individual members.
- Remote equipment training: Cheyette will reach out to committees and organize.
- ARPA Funds. David Jones update re deadline for matching state funds for broadband.
- Personal/vacation time: After discussion, tabled issue until next meeting, so Patty Dow can be involved.
- Post Office update. Nothing to report.
- Road commissioner updates:
Board gave tentative authorization for cellphone contract, to be revisited at next meeting since billing issue involves Dow.
Fournier got ballpark prices on rollers; Silverberg to research return on investment.
Fournier will work with contractors doing work on 112 for millings in exchange for letting them store some equipment.
- Auditor’s report: Town report will include unaudited numbers.
- Discussion re individual responses to email from Bob Teree about budget issues.
- Certificate of highway mileage needs to be signed.
HEARING OF VISITORS
- Edwards asked about finalizing budget and about posting SB vacancy. Sumner said budget will happen at next regular meeting and board agreed that it needs to post vacancy and discussed logistics.
- Fournier suggested creating mud season road policy; no discussion.
SELECTBOARD ORDER TO TREASURER FOR PAYMENT
Meeting adjourned at 7:30pm.
For the Selectboard