Town of Halifax, Vermont

May 17, 2013

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm at bridge #12 at the intersection of VT112 and Branch Rd.  Halifax Board members in attendance were Edee Edwards, Earl Holtz, and Lewis Sumner. Members of the public present were Jessica Bruno and Brad Rafus. Matt Mann arrived at 1:15pm from the Windham Regional Commission transportation committee.

Edwards explained that the Selectboard was contacted by the Windham Regional Commission Transportation Committee regarding prioritizing upcoming bridge projects. The Selectboard had indicated that bridge #12 (Branch Rd and VT 112) had poor visibility relative to entry and egress to VT 112. The group discussed the State Structure Inspection, Inventory and Appraisal Sheet. The bridge was constructed in 1925 and reconstructed in 1981.

While the group was waiting for Mann to arrive, Sumner indicated that there will be a meeting on Thursday 5/23 at 10am for the Deer Park Bridge final inspection. Sumner also saw Thad Betts from SVE and told him that Reed Hill Bridge was green, so they will schedule a close out. Edwards reported that they received the invoice for the Old County North engineering work, which the Selectboard will discuss at the next regular meeting. Final signatures were received from the state on the extension of time and dollars for the Old County North grant. Edwards expressed that the Selectboard should obtain a compilation/comparison of each bridge regarding engineering, construction oversight etc., so that they may compare the technical details on the charges.

Matt Mann arrived at 1:15pm. The group viewed the bridge and intersection. They discussed different guardrail configurations, mirrors, traffic surveys, and changes to the road. They also discussed crashes at the intersection. Mann indicated that there may be federal money available through the high risk roads program. They offer up to $10-15k for a high hazard location with no local match. Mann will look into the database regarding injury and crash reports for the location. The group drove to the Halifax town office. There was a discussion regarding VT112 district 1 versus district 2 for the rest of Halifax. Rob Faley is the contact for district 1. Mann will set up a meeting with John Alexander and Rob Faley to view the site, and will obtain data regarding crash data and truck volume.

At 2:00 pm Mann left the meeting and Bob Rueter and Tristan Roberts joined the meeting at the town office to discuss the town garage energy audit.

Bob Rueter prepared the town garage energy audit. He indicated that there is an issue with carbon monoxide that could be very dangerous and should be addressed as soon as possible. He explained that a pair of interlock switches is needed to prevent the boiler from going on when the fans are on and vice versa. He also discussed supplying air into the boiler. Reuter then discussed air sealing and Garaga door seals for the big bay doors. He indicated that Champion Door is a local company that installs the seals properly. The group also discussed ceiling insulation and the roof leak. Edwards inquired about solar energy possibilities. Rueter briefly explained a few current solar incentive programs and credits (.02 per kWh when vendor provides maintenance, site etc).

Edwards made a motion to have Rafus engage an electrician to provide an estimate for the interlock switching for the fans/boiler. Holtz seconded the motion.

Holtz amended the motion to include having an HVAC contractor to look at the air supply intake for the boiler. Edwards seconded the amendment.

The motion as amended passed 3-0-0.

Rueter indicated that starting with the doors and air sealing would provide some immediate payoff. The insulation really shouldn’t be considered until after the roof leak is fixed.

Sumner made a motion to have Champion Overhead Door in Brattleboro, VT provide an initial assessment of the town garage doors and provide a general estimate for the cost of air sealing. Holtz seconded the motion, which passed 3-0-0.

Hearing of Visitors

Other Business

Edwards reported that she discussed cash flow with the town treasurer. Dow’s recommendation, should we get a $500k payment in, is to pay down part of the $600k loan that the town currently has.

Edwards reported that Christina Moore has Jan/Feb Irene billing that has not been put through the system. Edwards recommended that she prepare the paperwork, but check with the Selectboard before submitting it.

Edwards made a motion to sign the agreement with Deerfield Valley Rescue to have DVR be the ambulance service for the town of Halifax for FY14. Holtz seconded the motion, which passed 3-0-0.

Holtz led a discussion regarding bear issues in town. Holtz advised the citizen to contact Sue Kelly (regarding a possible well issue), the game warden, and Len Derby. Bruno will post a notice on the town website urging citizens to secure their garbage containers and to take down bird feeders.

The meeting adjourned at 2:49 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Jessica Bruno
Selectboard Secretary