OFFICE OF THE SELECTBOARD
TOWN OF HALIFAX, VERMONT
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
September 19, 2023
6:00 PM AT THE HALIFAX TOWN OFFICE
CALL TO ORDER
Call to order by Pete Silverberg at 6:00pm. Selectboard members present or remote were Pete Silverberg, Patrick McAllister, Karen Christofferson, Edee Edwards, and Tristan Roberts. Others in attendance in person or remotely were Doug and Marilou Parkhurst, Mike Fournier, Stephan Chait, David Jones and Alison Crossley.
APPROVAL PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES
- September 5, 2023 Changes:
- Town auditor(s)
- Mike McConnell name correction
- New business: add representing circa Halifax 78 hours unused hours representing approximately $4,078
- Needs to say “Timing of employee wage increases.”
- Patrick McAllister made a motion to approve minutes with specified changes. Pete Silverberg seconds. Passed 5-0.
- Conflict of interest
- Discussion was had regarding conflict of interest policy.
- Read letter from Selectboard member Tristan Roberts into the record.
- Selectboard noted needing to update the conflict of interest policy including potentially referencing the conflict of interest policy and situational execution of going into executive session within the Rule of Procedures document – will be discussed at later selectboard meeting.
- Action Item: Admin to link Conflict of Interest policy under Administrative policies on town website
- Action Item: Update April 18th selectboard meeting minutes to reflect vote count: 4-0-1 Abstain
- New truck delivery and trade in of old truck
- Greg Allen(ATG) met with Pete Silverberg & Mike Fournier at town garage to discuss trade in value. APG is willing to give $22,000 truck, differing from originally stated $25,000 value.
- Action Item: Pete Silverberg to review contract/purchase order for trade in value under contract.
- Schedule ARPA Special Meeting–Alison has completed documentation of missing applicants
- This item covered under MTAP/Gretchen Havreluk discussion.
- Action Item: Admin to notify ARPA funding applicants directly to clarify the October 10th special meeting does include specific project consideration
- Action Item: Alison to send out ARPA Funding Applicant documents to board and Gretchen Havreluk
- Road Commissioner and Road Crew supervisor position description discussion
- Discussion was briefly had on position descriptions.
- Selectboard members’ question when reviewing documents should be: Are the roles and responsibilities correctly identified between the two positions?
- Selectboard noted based on finalized descriptions, salary will need to be reviewed to accurately compensate for responsibilities of each role.
- Action Item: Tristan Roberts to add paragraph if positions are held by single individual
- Municipal Technical Assistance Program (MTAP). WRC Statement of Work–Gretchen Havreluk (Tristan)
- Discussion regarding assistance from MTAP with Gretchen Havreluk.
- Based on conversation – Selectboard will change intent of October 10th 6pm meeting to workshop with Gretchen tho strategically planning town projects, beyond ARPA funding potential projects.
- Patrick McAllister motioned to sign a municipal technical assistance program statement of work with updates to town name on document. Karen Christofferson seconds. Passed 5-0.
- Action Item: Alison to send ARPA Funding Applicant doc to Gretchen and Selectboard.
- Criteria for residents to utilize DV Fiber affordability funding (Tristan)
- Tristan Roberts gave an update on affordability funding ($50K) for connectivity with Halifax residents.
- Two part plan:
- Incentivize people to sign up for mailing list. Potential examples: $20 gas card or raffle prize when you sign up!
- Broadband Committee developing short survey to residents that signed up for mailing list to collect information for those that want support in connectivity. Survey may include: home type, hook-up connection type, etc.
- Publication of road closures (Pete)
- Discussion had regarding strategy to update Halifax residents on road closures.
- Action Item: Update town website under Highway tab to include Intermittent Green River road closures through the second week of October depending on weather.
- Discussion was had regarding second repeater in Halifax
- Part of town doesn’t have access to emergency radio – this would allow for the range
- Action Item: Finance committee to check if budget allows to purchase another repeater
- Pike Road Request for Bid reviewed by Selectboard
- Highway Grant signed by Selectboard.
HEARING OF VISITORS
- Doug Parkhurst shared about the September 8th/9th Otis Celebration in Whitneyville cemetery – explaining the success of the event with a good number of people participating. It was great to see Selectboard members involved!
- Stephan Chait: Shared that the Halifax Community Hall will host an environmental education program regarding beaver projects locally on Saturday September 23, 2023 at 1pm with a professor from Keene, NH.
- Edee Edwards makes a motion at 7:55pm to go into executive session under 1VSA313(a)(3) discussing an appointment or personnel issue. Pete Silverberg seconds. Passed 5-0.
Executive session included Mike Fournier, Alison Crossley, Pete Silverberg, Patrick McAllister, Karen Christofferson, Edee Edwards, and Tristan Roberts.
Executive session ended at 8:08pm. No decisions were made.
- Read into the record. Total order: $64,926.97
- Inclusion statement include for next agenda item
Patrick McAllister adjourned the meeting at 8:18pm. Pete Silverberg seconded. Passed 5-0.
YOUTUBE LINK: https://youtu.be/cPebik1LBp8